Engaged scholarship is at the center of the work of CELA. Engaged scholarship seeks to link more closely universities and communities. By linking the aspirations, concerns and knowledge systems of local communities to the work of academic research, we believe that the research produced is richer and more accessible and that communities can use that knowledge in building a sustainable future.

Belize offers excellent opportunities for research in many fields. The faculty and community associates of CELA are interested in working with researchers to develop research ideas and approaches, and to participate in carrying out research projects. Let us hear about your interest in research in Belize.


Belize has a rich biodiversity, a rich human history, and a diverse population with many different cultures all combining to provide a context of asking interesting questions about the social and natural world and contributing to addressing some of the challenges Belize faces. However we know that engaging in research in another country can be challenging and intimidating. What laws and policies regulate research? How does one establish relationship with organizations and communities? How does one organize the logistics? These are important questions that need answering. We at CELA want to help you by providing you some basic information that begin to answer them. We hope this is useful and don’t hesitate to contact us if you are interested in us providing you with support.


It’s difficult to know where to start – here are some of our key partners and resources!

Most Belizean Governmental Offices are located in Belmopan.

The Forestry Department in under the Department of Environment which is in charge of all terrestrial, biological research.

Research Permit is required to conduct research on wildlife. This is usually for non-invasive research. If animals will be collected, trapped, tagged etc. the permit is rigorous in applicants providing ample motives as well as ethical protocols. A Collection Permit is required if anything will be collected, even if just samples. An Export Permit is required if any samples will be taken out of Belize. These will depend on the protection (CITES) level of the species as well as the requirements of the country importing. Import permit needs to be acquired prior to exportation and varies based on country.

NICH: Institute for Social and Cultural Research. NICH approves all research conducted on humans, including archeological sites, in Belize. A Historical, Anthropological and Socio-Economic Research Permit is required for all research to be conducted on humans or human history.

Ministry of Health is in charge of all research related to humans.

Please note: these organizations are financially limited so research often needs to have at least matching funds or external funding sources.

BFREE: Belize Foundation for Research and Environmental Education at Bladen Nature Reserve.

UB ERI: University of Belize Environmental Research Institute

  • Calabash Caye Field Station
  • Central Belize Corridor
  • Panthera Belize

Tobacco Caye Marine Research Station

Glovers Reef Marine Research Station

Birds Without Borders

Belize Audubon Society (manages national protected areas) 

  • Blue Hole National Monument
  • Half Moon Caye National Monument
  • St. Herman’s Blue Hole National Park
  • Cockscomb Basin Wildlife Sanctuary
  • Crooked Tree Wildlife Sanctuary
  • Guanacaste National Park
  • Victoria Peak National Monument

Programme for Belize at the Rio Bravo Conservation and Management Area 

Toledo Institute for Development and Education (TIDE) which focuses on research in Toledo and marine conservation

Belize Botanic Gardens

Protected Areas Conservation Trust (PACT) offers a few small research grants for research projects linked to protected areas.

Oak Foundation focuses on marine conservation in Belize

Close Menu